Friday, June 03, 2005

Then Sings My Soul

Today I spent my lunch hour in the piano room at Redeemer University College. My music, as mentioned throughout many of my posts, reflects my heart, my soul - what I am feeling on the inside is expressed through the sounds released by my fingers on the keys.

Initially my song was sorrowful, confused, anxious, hesitant - and in a minor key. My feelings definitely were of the minor key sort and I lingered on the dissonant tones and plaintive harmonies.

I then spent some time in prayer. Casual prayer to be sure - merely speaking my thoughts aloud to the omniscient God that surrounds me always. Frustrations poured out of me - and questions and worries and fears - everything that I had just played was now put into words to flow from my heart to my Father's hands.

Then I sat down at the piano once more, determined to praise God instead of hosting a pity party for myself. My fingertips sought out a major key this time, composing something more confident and joyous - yet peaceful. I pressed into the tune, feeling God's assurance and love wash over me, replacing my insecurities and doubt.

It was then that it hit me. I realized that the progression of my left hand was actually the same as it had been before - only in a different order! God had taken my minor sorrow and confusion and transformed it into major joy and peace. And that is what He is doing with my life. He transforms the little minor problems and struggles that I go through, as I redirect them to Him, into major milestones of praise and worship and blessing!

Then sings my soul,
My Saviour, God - to You!
How great You are
How great You are