Thursday, August 25, 2005

turnin' over tables

We have a Saviour who fights for us.
Fighting to win our love, He is pursuing and wooing us to His side.
He is Passionate.
He is Ardent.
He is Tenacious.
He wants us to love Him above anything else.
He turns over tables in the temple in a rage.
A righteous anger that is against anything that takes His place in our hearts.
He is passionately, constantly, tirelessly fighting to be the One we love the most.
He fights with holy, jealous Love.
I bet there were hot, frustrated tears searing His cheeks, blurring His vision.
Because He loves money-changers and tax collectors.
Unfailingly.
Yet, they callously disgraced His Love.
I am no better than them.
It's like discovering the one you love has been unfaithful.
And becoming filled with righteous anger and hurt...and still loving.
A Love that will never change.
A Love that will never let go.
He loves us the maximum amount at all times no matter what.
See Him fight for first place in our lives.
I see it, and it breaks my heart because I spurn it over and over again.

I built another temple to a stranger
I gave away my heart to the rushing wind
I set my course to run right into danger
Sought the company of fools instead of friends

You know I've been unfaithful
Lovers in lines
While you're turning over tables with the rage of a jealous kind
I chose the gallows to the aisle
Thought that love would never find
Hanging ropes will never keep you
And your love of a jealous kind
Love of a jealous kind

Trying to jump away from rock that keeps on spreading
For solace in the shift of the sinking sand
I'd rather feel the pain all too familiar
Than to be broken by a lover I don't understand
'Cause I don't understand

One hundred other lovers, more, one hundred other altars
If I should slow my pace and finally subject me to grace
And love that shames the wise, betrays the heart's deceit and lies
And breaks the back of foolish pride

Jars of Clay ~ Jealous Kind ~ Who We Are Instead